Monday, October 13, 2008

Penny Arcade

The temple has been rebuilt

One of the reasons that I am loyal to Commerce Bank which was voted #1 in customer service 3 years in a row is because of the Penny Arcade. The Penny Arcade is basically a Coin Star machine with the exception that Commerce doesn't steal 15% of your hard earned change unlike Coin Star and Penny Arcade is actually the name of a cartoon character in the machine who introduces herself as Penny and counts your money for you while you stand there as your worthless coins are converted into ice cold cash.

When I was in law school and was deciding which bank was closest to my apartment had the best interest/exchange rates and gave away free pens, I was HEAVILY swayed by the presence of the Penny Arcade. Whenever my checking account went down to $20, rather than ordering a Gold Kit, I acted like a drug addict and hunted around my apartment, searching my couch and bags for loose change, which I then put in a bag, rolled up to Commerce looking like Santa with a sack over my shoulders, and then put in the Penny Arcade and watched as my checking account grew from $20 to $38.27 and I was once again rich. It may sound ridiculous, but Commerce literally allowed me to eat for those last days of the month until my balance once again gloriously replenished itself on the first of the following month, courtesy of Daddykins Warbucks. Commerce and Penny Arcade taught me a valuable lesson, which is that even if you run out of money, you can always find coins in your clothing, and I'm not sure why it didn't occur to anyone at like Lehman or those other places to just search their office carpeting/couches and peoples' pockets and see what comes up rather than just jumping to conclusions that they were bankrupt.

No comments: