Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Genealogy of VH1 Shows


Some of you may be wondering what the hell I'm talking about when I'm referring to The Pick Up Artist, Rock of Love, I Love New York, etc. The whole "problem" with VH1 is that you have to have been there from the beginning season of Flavor of Love to know what's going on and why you should care about the current shows and how they all fit together. Accordingly, I've drawn up an amazing chart documenting the ancestry of VH1 shows for your reference because that's the kind of spare time I have. Click on the picture above to enlarge.

2 comments:

Above14thSt said...

Thanks for the chart. I don't want to revise a "Picaso", but I would like to make some small suggestions (you can take it or leave it):

1. Flavor of Love

"While not a direct spin-off, the show was a result of Brigitte Nielsen and Flavor Flav's failed relationship on "Strange Love"". See Ogunnaike, Lola. A Ladies' Man Everyone Fights Over. The New York Times, October 1, 2006. See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flavor_of_Love#cite_note-NYT-0.

2. If you accept this, then note that Strange Love was sparked by their on screen romance in the third season of VH1's The Surreal Life, and "Strange Love" was a spin-off that focused solely on Brigitte and Flav.

3. If you accept this, then you should also note the other spin-offs of The Surreal Life, including the following:

a. My Fair Brady (and subsequent spin offs from that)
b. Surreal Life: Fame Games

As noted in Wikepieda Entry for "Surreal Life": "The Surreal Life is one of VH-1's most spun-off shows, with a complex web of reality series that have, themselves, had spin-off shows."

All of these have been produced by mastermind Mark Cronin.

The only frog with his own blog said...

above 14th street beat me to it... they all came from VH1's surreal life.. which had the greatest moment of tv history ever.. a fully naked mini-me sitting on his scooter and peeing into the corner of the house