Tuesday, July 22, 2008

R.I.P. Estelle Getty (1923-2008)


On a serious note, Estelle Getty has died today. On a Golden Girls special a few years back, Dorothy, Rose and Blanche revealed to viewers that Estelle was suffering from dementia and I very clearly remember crying hysterically because Golden Girls is my FAVORITE SHOW OF ALL TIME. Click here, here and here for some amazing clips of Estelle doing her thing as Sophia. It just puts into high relief what pieces of garbage shitcoms like Two and a Half Men and According to Jim are. RIP Estelle, I'll miss you.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

RIP indeed. Loved her:

"Getty was evasive about her height, acknowledging only that she was 'under 5 feet and under 100 pounds.'"

Maria said...

In reading up about her and the other cast members (I loved the Golden Girls - somehow I was able to enjoy it even without understanding English at the time), I learned that Estelle was actually one year YOUNGER than Bea Arthur, who played her daughter Dorothy. Which must have been just awesome for Estelle's self esteem.

Unknown said...

Sophia is fit as hell